SMS marketing is a great way to interact with consumers, especially when 95% of adults in the US own a mobile phone.
Not convinced yet? Look at these SMS statistics:
- 82% of people keep notifications turned on for SMS messages
- 95% of texts from businesses are read within 3 minutes of being sent
- The average response time for a text message is 6,000% (60X) faster than email
- The average SMS campaign conversion rate is 45%
But once you have the phone numbers of your target consumers and then what will you send to them?
You need to constantly deliver value, and give them a reason to engage with your text messages.
That’s why I’m sharing 5 SMS marketing ideas for eCommerce to generate more sales.
5 SMS marketing ideas to generate more sales
1. Ask for Permission
Asking for customers’ permission isn’t mandatory, but it’s good for you. Instead of creating SMS marketing campaigns that customers never read, you’ll need to spend time nurturing relationships with customers who want to receive notifications.
You can get this permission in 2 ways:
- Create a campaign by asking consumers to text an opt-in keyword to a short code, for example, “Text YES to 12345 to receive exclusive promotions!”
- Ask customers to check an opt-in box — similar to opting in to receive a newsletter — when they check out, request information, or sign up for another service on your website.
Include the following 3 sections when you send text messages to your target customers:
- Expectations. Tell customers about how frequently you plan to send text messages and what kind of content will they receive.
- Opt-out option. Make sure that it’s always clear how your customers can stop receiving text marketing messages from you.
- Call to action (CTA). Each text message should include a brief message with a clear CTA that encourages customers to act. For example, “Click here to confirm subscription.”
2. Personalize Your Messages
SMS marketing gives you a unique opportunity to personalize text messaging and connect with customers one-on-one via SMS. Make sure that your recipients feel like a special contact, not just another one on a mailing list. Customers prefer to receive personalized messages and are more likely to move through the sales funnel when they do.
3 ways to incorporate personalized SMS marketing campaigns:
- Include the customer name in text messages
- Mention customer activity — like a recent purchase, or a shipping update
Take your personalization further and segment your customer list so that only certain customers receive highly relevant messages. For example, you could send discounts exclusively to customers who purchased from a group of products, like sneakers. Or to customers who bought a specific product, like black-striped shoes.
3. Make the Value Clear
Just sending a text message isn’t enough. If you want your customers to take action on your SMS they must see value in your message — either in information you are giving or in the offer they receive.
To create SMS campaigns that your customers will engage with, try:
- Creating discount coupons and offers unique to your SMS marketing list
- Targeting offers based on customer segments and behaviors
4. Integrate Rich Media into Your SMS Marketing Campaigns
Mobile messaging includes more than just plain text. It’s now possible to get higher engagement rates of text messaging by providing customers with the experience of an app or email campaign. By using SMS marketing tools, you can set up mobile landing pages with all the features of an email or web page and integrate them into your SMS marketing campaigns.
The following is an example showing a survey shared using rich media.
Rich media text messages can also be used to share appointment scheduling and payment processing.
5. Lead with Your Offer
With only 160 characters to get your customers’ attention, make sure the most interesting part of the message, your stellar offer, sits upfront.
Text messages don’t have subject lines, so by including your offer to the top of the message, customers quickly see the selling point. Even before they open the message, customers can see the offer when previewing the first few words of the message on their phone.
Over 90% of text messages are opened within 3 minutes of being received. Don’t waste the opportunity to convert customers by burying the offer below lots of text.
Among recipients of SMS marketing campaigns:
- 75 percent of people targeted by SMS marketing don’t mind receiving offers.
- 47 percent of people who respond to SMS messages go on to buy something.